Saturday, March 12, 2011

A Sleepless Night

I feel compelled to blog about our sleepless night last night. Maybe because, at three and a half months old, this is the first true "sleepless night" we've had; not including the first couple of nights home from hospital, but they can hardly count!

My poor baby girl has a cold. Again. We only shook the first one off three or so weeks ago, and now both of us are snivelling snotty little germ-carriers again.

There appears to be a lot more snot and congestion involved this time. Poor Hannah really struggled last night, and after several trips up and down the hallway to feed or resettle, I finally gave in at 1.30am and we set up camp in our bed. Not that this really improved things much, but saved me from springing in and out of bed like a yo-yo every 5 minutes.

At around 3am, when things got quite bad and even laying beside me being cuddled couldn't pacify her, I lay propped on my pillows rocking her to sleep, exhausted and also feeling less than average myself. I contemplated crying, as this has proved quite therapeutic in the past when things became too much! But as the tears started to well up I realised this wouldn't help matters at all; the only thing it would achieve is making me more snotty and congested. I'd then have to blow my nose like a trumpet, in turn waking the baby up who I'd just managed to rock to sleep. So I didn't bother crying.

Some time around 4am I managed to rearrange the assortment of pillows, lay Hannah down, roll over and go to sleep. It was light, restless sleep, broken up with bouts of coughing and sneezing, but it was better than nothing.



Hannah is NOT a fan of the Fess aspirator up her nose, and hates Panadol. Both make her cry, but they are a necessary evil. 

Hopefully tonight will be better. Get well soon my baby girl xx

1 comment:

  1. Great to see your updated blog, but not great to read that you and Hannah are unwell and mising some sleep :( Sending you all lots of hugs, I hope you both are feeling well again really soon. xx

    ReplyDelete